St. Joseph Catholic School, a Notre Dame ACE Academy, offers a high-quality, rigorous, research-based, Catholic education based on the Common Core standards and grounded in the teachings of the Catholic Church provided by our founders, the Salesian Sisters.
Our students receive instruction in all core subjects.
- Religion: Because Christ is the beginning and the end, SJCS begins and ends every day in prayer as a school community. This daily prayer is the foundation to the religion curriculum which also includes a weekly school mass at St. Joseph Catholic Church and daily classroom instruction.
- Language Arts: SJCS utilizes a mix of traditional and interactive methods to teach Common Core while focusing on reading, writing, and English. Grades K-2 use the popular Superkids series for Language Arts instruction while the upper grades blend readings from many resources to provide an enriching experience, with a special focus on informational text.
- Math: SJCS has recently seen a sharp increase in math testing scores with the adoption of the Everyday Math series from the University of Chicago from grades K-8. The series mixes hands-on experiences with purposeful games and data-driven instruction to provide mastery in math skills. Eighth graders have the opportunity to take Algebra I in preparation for high school.
- Social Studies: Students learn about the communities, civilizations, and world around them through a rigorous study of history, geography, government, economics, and world affairs.
- Science: The students explore the world around them in all the sciences with a hands-on, interactive approach grounded in the scientific process.
In order to educate the whole student, SJCS also provides Spanish, Art, Physical Education, Library, Music and Performing Arts (Drama) classes.
Also of note:
- Graduates consistently excel at area Catholic and public high schools.
- SJCS is staffed by state-certified faculty who participate in on-going professional development; many with Master’s degrees
- SJCS is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Florida Catholic Conference; member of the National Catholic Education Association
- Title I services are offered through the county for Reading and Math.
- A part-time Guidance Counselor, Resource Teacher, and ESE specialist are on staff.
- In the last year of the Iowa Assessments, SJCS students grew an AVERAGE of 1.4 grade levels in one academic year.
- Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) offered for our four year-old students.